In this webinar, CIP Director of Summer Programs and Outreach, Matt Kosiorek, is joined by Camp Akeela‘s Assistant Director, Kevin Trimble, and CIP Student (and former Camp Akeela camper), Brendan, to talk about the benefits of sending your student to a summer program.
Importance of Summer Programs:
- During camp, the removal of the academic environment allows for more focus on social development
- Students are engaged in in-the-moment learning experiences from trained staff
- Students get out of the house, experience nature, and become physically active
- Summer camps provide a good balance of structured vs unstructured time
- Students don’t have to worry about “fitting in” like they do in a regular school environment
Important questions to ask when deciding on a summer camp program:
- Does the camp have the right supports in place?
- What are your student’s medication and dietary needs — will they be able to accommodate that?
- What is the camper-to-staff ratio?
- How are the campers bunking together?
CIP’s Summer Programs include Summer@CIP, a social experience for students in 10th, 11th, 12th grade and recent high school graduates; and Mploy, a career skills development program for students 18 – 26 who are interested in entering the workforce and transitioning to independent living. Click the links for more information or email Matt Kosiorek at firstname.lastname@example.org.